Saturday, June 9, 2012

Fancy Dinner Time

Two posts in a row...I'm off to a good start. :)

Didn't last night's dinner look fancy?  I think it did.  And it started from such humble beginnings.


But we're going to start with breakfast.  Oatmeal.  Topped with frozen peaches and raisins. :)

After breakfast I caught up on some work and chores while Kai colored. :)


Then we were off to the park!  On Thursday I contacted some of my friends to see if we wanted to all go to the zoo.  About 5 minutes after I send that e-mail I remembered that Friday was Zoobilation so the zoo wasn't open for general admission. :(  Instead I suggested we meet up at the park...


And that we pack a picnic lunch.  Kai had left over mac & cheese with broccoli.  For her drink I filled one of her animal cups with 1/2 Apple Juice and 1/2 Water.  Yes, she's 4 and I still dilute it.



I had a spinach salad topped with frozen plums (they didn't thaw the way I thought they would while we were running around playing), pecans, sprouts, feta and avocado.  It was REALLY good. :)  To drink I filled a BIG Mug-N-Bun cup with water...it's the biggest cup I have with a lid.

After the park we headed home where I worked some more while we watched Veggie Tales Pirates Who Don't Do Anything.  We have Netflix and have been on a Veggie Tale kick lately.  Any one else watch that cartoon?  It's actually really cute. 


We also got the new Green Bean Delivery.  This week I got:
3 Ears of Corn
1 Bunch Broccoli
2 Onions (only 1 was listed but I got a bonus)
2 Limes
4 Packham Pears
4 Yellow Nectarines
1 lb Strawberries
4 Bell Peppers (Mini Sweet Peppers were listed but their shipment was bad so they sub'd)
1 lb Asparagus
10 oz White Button Mushrooms
4 Tomatoes (3 were listed so bonus again!)


I still had an onion left from the last order so I decided that dinner had to include it, as well as the asparagus because it doesn't last long. :)


This was really a last minute meal but it turned out so good it will become a "planned meal" in the future.  And it took me exactly 30 minutes!  I started at 5:33 and finished at 6:03.  How cool is that?


So I started by sauteing 1 chopped onion and 2 chopped russet potatoes with a little coconut oil.



Then I took some spears of asparagus, snapped and spritzed them with olive oil, and put them in the toaster oven at 425 to roast.


While the potato/onions cooked on low with the lid on, and the asparagus roasted, I brought a pot of water to boil then turned it down to a simmer so I could poach some eggs.  If you don't know how to poach an egg you can google it for proper instructions.  All I do is get my water to simmer and crack an egg into the water slowly.  Then I just watch it until it looks done.  :)


Once the eggs were done I started piling everything onto our plates.... 




I topped mine with Feta and Kai's with Cheddar... 



Yum!!  Even Kai ate some of her asparagus!

No comments:

Post a Comment