Thursday, December 29, 2011

Happy Birthday Mom!!

I woke up this morning ready to call my mom to wish her a Happy Birthday, but I had missed a text.  It turns out that in the middle of the night one of my Bestest Friends in the whole world had a little boy!!!  So now my mom has to share her birthday with Little John!  :D

Do you have any idea how hard it is to focus on yesterday's meals when all I want to do is go see him??? 

Anyway, I DID take photos yesterday so lets get to it.

Lunch started with a roasting of some tasty veggies:  Brussels Sprouts, Potatoes & Red Cabbage with a spray of Olive Oil and a sprinkling of salt.  Chopped into big bite size pieces and cooked at 425°.


While those roasted I ate an Apple Pear.


And a spoonful of Almond, Peanut & Cashew Butter.


Eventually the veggies were done...

Like my new oven mitt?  :D


On to the FUN stuff yesterday.  We made Birthday Doughnuts!!  For the most part I followed this recipe, but with some minimal tweaks.

DONUTS
1 C Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
1/3 C Organic Sucanat (substituted for sugar)
1 1/2 t Baking Powder
Pinch of Salt
3 T Coconut Oil (heated to a liquid)
2/3 C minus about 2 T Almond Milk
1/2 t Apple-Cider Vinegar
1/2 t vanilla
1 egg

Whisk all the dry ingredients together.  In a separate bowl mix the melted oil, milk, vinegar and vanilla.  If your milk is cold you may have to heat the mixture in the microwave because when coconut oil gets cold it hardens.  Mix your dry and wet ingredients.  Add the egg and mix a bit more.

Pour your batter into a doughnut pan.  To do this I made myself a pastry bag using a ziplock bag with the tip cut off.  It made it MUCH easier to not over flow. :)

Bake at 350° for 12 minutes.

To frost them I pureed 1 banana and a splash of almond milk until smooth.  Then we dipped each doughnut into the "frosting".

Dry & wet ingredients in my NEW mixing bowls.

Kai and I fill our "Pastry bag"

Gotta get every last drip. :)

Into the pans it goes


Ready to bake

Out of the oven.

And onto the cooling rack!

The "Frosting"

Dip, dip, dip

Last night my dad babysat Kai for a few hours while we met up with some high school alumni so my plan was for my dad to take this home so that my mom would see it when she got home around midnight, just in time for her birthday to start!  Unfortunately, it didn't get to their house so I'm off to my mom's soon so she can finally enjoy her Birthday Doughnuts! :D

Happy Birthday Grammy!!
And one more Happy Birthday Little John!  I know you won't be eating doughnuts any time soon but when you are ready Kai and I will be here to make them for you!! :D

1 comment: