Friday, September 21, 2012

Chowder?

I have no idea what makes something a chowder vs a soup or stew.  Maybe if it's cream based it's a chowder?  Well this isn't cream based but it's probably as close to a chowder as I'm going to get. :)

And bonus - Kai ate it too. :)

Corn & Potato Chowder
1 C Water
1 T TVP (optional - I have a bag of it and am trying to figure out ways to use it)
1 Potato - chopped
1 C Frozen corn kernels
1/2 Can drain & rinsed chickpeas
1/2 C Almond Milk
Pinch of Salt

Start by bringing water, TVP, potatoes & corn to a boil and then turn it down to low.  Add a lid and let it simmer for about 20 minutes so that the potatoes become soft.


Add the chickpeas, almond milk and salt and let simmer (no lid) for another 10 minutes or so.

Use a fork or masher to, well, mash the soup.  Your not pureeing it - just making it look more "creamy".

Serve with cheese or nutritional yeast and a slice of sturdy bread. :)

Like I said, Kai even loved it, which surprised me.   She's never been a white potato fan and lately she hasn't been much for corn.  Her one complaint was the bread.  She looked at me like I was stark raving mad when I gave her a piece of bread with no jelly.  Apparently the idea of dipping it in the chowder was completely foolish and deserved a gigantic FAIL stamp.

No comments:

Post a Comment