Saturday, March 17, 2012

Happy Leaf Day!

For weeks I've been trying to convince Kai it's called St. Patrick's Day...with no luck.  In fact it all started around 2/29 because I thought she was trying to reference Leap Day but no, she was talking about St. Patrick's Day.  Why does she think it's Leaf Day?  Because of this one set of decorations....


In February my mom gave us some gel window clings so we put them up.  They look like little leaves (or Shamrocks!) and thus Leaf Day was born.

Oh, and if you're wondering, I'm totally psyched that our Magnolia tree is in full bloom.  It's so pretty and smells SO GOOD.  I'm so loving this spring time weather!!!!  :D

Breakfast yesterday started with some Oatmeal.  Into it I stirred the last of the thawed frozen-spinach.  I gotta say, I've also loved having this in the fridge.  It's supper quick to just grab a handful and stir it in.  I bought another block last night at the grocery store and set it in the fridge to thaw overnight.  I do believe this will be a new staple in our house. :)


Also stirred into the oatmeal were some frozen apples & peaches.

Grandpa joined me in picking Kai up from school and then we headed downtown for the St. Patrick's Day Parade!  Since we left straight from school I packed a lunch for Kai and I...

Multi-Grain Wraps with a LARGE spread of sundried tomato hummus....
(Hummus = Chickpeas, Flax Seed, Sundried Tomatoes, Olive Oil & Basil)


Then I added some spinach, Gouda Cheese, Red Bell, Tomato, Avocado and Greek Yogurt.


Then I wrapped them in aluminum foil and threw them in my purse along with a few apples. :)

Yummy!!!


Before the Parade began Kai climbed all over grandpa... :)

I believe my dad is the only person there who didn't wear green!

And found a reason to pout about the parade not starting yet...


Then the parade FINALLY began.  We were at the end of the route so it took a while to get to us.  The first  thing we saw were the Indy Police Motorcycle group.  I was pretty impressed with the cop who stood with his hands up while riding the bike.  In fact I took a picture of him....


And if you had x-ray vision you'd be able to see him behind that guy's head.  Yep, my timing is impeccable!

For Kai there were 2 "stand outs".  The first were the horses...


Those Clydesdale were HUGE.  I think my head came up to the top of their legs!

The other stand out wasn't part of the parade.  It was part of the crowd.  There were TONS of people there with their pets...and all of them friendly.  Kai was a dog petting machine. :)

In between the horses and dogs we saw some men in kilts playing bagpipes...


A large Shamrock balloon...



The dancing lottery guys....



Some people playing some type of Irish-Game (??)....



A couple marching bands (Kai said they sounded like the Carousel at the museum, lol!) and a LOT of schools & politicians.



And at least one totally unique group...they were marching with folding chairs!?!  They had a whole routine to it too.  I'm not entirely sure what it was all about...if you notice, that's Kai running up towards the road.  At this point she was getting REALLY restless....




And eventually wound up forgetting about the parade and just chasing a butterfly. :) 



Of course the group giving out flowers drew her attention back.  The girl loves flowers! :)




Not terribly long after that we headed home.  Kai was started to get grumpy and the parade wasn't even close to ending!  There was no point in FORCING her to watch more of it than she could handle.  So, after 1.5 hours, home we went, full of memories of all the horses. :)


Dinner was enjoyed at YATS.  I REALLY love this place.  I got the B&B because, well, it's one of my favorites.  Kai wouldn't touch it though.  I think this is now going to be a kid-free eatery.  She used to eat there no problem, but now she just turns her nose up. :(



After Yats we headed over to Target to get our groceries, but first....


That's right!  A new Frozen Yogurt place.  It's actually been open for months but this was our first visit.  The atmosphere was great!  And look at the little card about how good their Fro-Yo is for you....




Clearly I should be eating it MUCH more often...for my own health! :)


I hope you all have a wonderful St. Patty's Leaf Day!  Be sure you wear your green...you wouldn't want to get pinched. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment