Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Book Review & Beet Salad

Monday night I finished reading The Maze Runner.  I never really found my connection to the book.  I like the story and am curious about what happens next but I don't have a drive to go out and read it right away. :(

I have a theory that it's because it's an almost all male "cast".  There is one girl in it but she doesn't have a roll until about two-thirds of the way through.  I like having a female character to relate to.  It some how pulls me into the book.  When I told my friend my theory he basically called it a cheat and said he hates when people write books to include 'everyone', but hey, I like what I like. :)

On the other hand, yesterday I started Divergent.  I started reading it around 4:30 and stopped to make/eat dinner and then for a while while Kai and I played.  Other than that I Could. Not. Put. It. Down.  Seriously this book is so good!!  I'm already more than halfway through it and I'm guessing I'll be done my this evening.  It's one of those books where you're tired and need to sleep, but then you think, "one more chapter" and suddenly it's been another hour. :D


And you know what?  The lead character is a girl! So HA!, maybe my theory is correct and I really am a sexist when it comes to books.  I just need to be able to imagine myself in the environment, and an isolated community of boys trying to find their way out of a maze isn't something I can easily put myself in.  There's obviously a sequel to The Maze Runner  (based on the last chapter) and I have a feeling I'll enjoy that one more...Once they're out of the maze and onto their next 'adventure' I'd imagine the character base will have to expand.  At least that's what I'm hoping.

BREAKFAST:
Yesterday's breakfast was oatmeal...again. :)

This time the toppings included Cocoa, Strawberries, Cinnamon, a Drizzle of Agave Nectar, and on mine: Pumpkin seeds and the last of the coconut whip.

Chocolate covered strawberry oatmeal!

LUNCH:
Lunch started out as something-yet-to-be-determined involving roasted beets but they weren't done in time. :(

So instead I chopped some onion and some Brussels Sprouts....


And started 'Stir Frying' them in a pan with a bit of coconut oil.


Plus some mushrooms.


Then I decided to add in the beet greens that I cut off the beets before starting to roast them.


Trimmed, Cleaned, Chopped....

...And added to the pan, along with a bit of red wine.  I'm not sure why I feel red wine and brussels sprouts go so well together but I do! 


At this point I stopped to check my e-mail and got distracted.  If you get distracted for too long you'll over cook your food!!...


FOCUS EMILY!!

But it still tasted ok. :)  I used it to top some left over 90 second rice from the night before.


I put some on Kai's plate expecting a fight.  She tends to refuse food that's "blackened" but she ate almost all of it!!  I really cannot predict what she'll like and what she'll refuse to even try.  That's why I find it's best to just put it in front of her.  There are times that she'll tell me she doesn't like something...as she eats the entire plateful.  :)


Eventually the Beets did finish so I pulled the out of the oven and let them cool.  (To roast, just wrap them in foil with a drizzle of Olive Oil and put in the oven at 450 for about an hour.  They're done if you can easily pierce them with a fork)


Once they were cooled I was able to just rub the skin off (washing my hands often so they didn't become pink).  And then I put them in the fridge for later. :)


AFTERNOON WALK & LIMEADE:
The weather's warming back up so we went on a fun walk around the neighborhood.  At one point Kai stopped on a rock to compose a song...

Fa-la-la-la-la
And then we both enjoyed a cup of Lime-Ade (frozen lime cubes, water & truvia)


Can you tell I'm ready for summer? Bring on the ade-drinks, watermelon, berries and warm fresh air. lol!!

DINNER:
Dinner was supposed to be left overs but since I didn't actually make veggie chili on Monday I didn't have any left overs for Tuesday.  But I did have left over beets from lunch!!!

So on top of a bed of spinach I put:
Chopped Beet, a Cutie Orange, Avocado, Sunflower Seeds, Feta Cheese, and my go to Dressing:
Maple Syrup, Balsamic Vinaigrette, Olive Oil & Dijon Mustard (I'll never buy store bought dressing again) all whisked together.
Yes, I'm still trying to figure out what to do with that onion in the background!! :)
 Kai finally got her Mac & Cheese with a side of the salad (minus the sunflower seeds):




And the Hubs actually did get to have left over chili.


For dessert, Kai and I enjoyed strawberry banana soft serve.


Hers in a cone; mine in a bowl...topped with coconut!


Now I've got to get back to my book!  What will happen next?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment