Friday, March 16, 2012

Onion Soup & Leprechaun Heads

Well today is the last day for me to bring in snacks.  It's also the day the kids are celebrating St. Patrick's Day.  Green is being worn in full force!

My goal was to make little apple leprechauns....


I admit they look like little drunk I-don't-know-whats...but hey "drunk" is associated with St. Patrick's Day almost as much as leprechauns so we're going to still call them a win. lol!

More on how they were made at the end of the post.  First, let's talk breakfast....

I had the last of the Teriyaki Noodles with some flax seed and spinach stirred in. :)



 While Kai, once again, had Cheerios with strawberries and raisins.



For lunch we had one of our favorites...Tuna Salad

1 Can of Tuna, 1/2 avocado, 1/8 Cup Greek Yogurt, and Yellow Mustard (the Hubs finished off the Dijon at some point)...Plus this time we added some spinach and red pepper.


Served with some of the left over spinach chips from making the shamrock chips.  I have to say I REALLY don't like these spinach tortillas from Target.  I wound up picking them all out. :(


Dinner was supposed to be left overs, but I didn't have any.  Plus, ever since eating at Panara I've been in the mood for some French Onion soup (and tomato soup, and veggie pesto soup, and more black bean soup, lol).  So I decided to try and make my own. :D

ONION SOUP
1 Red Onion
1 T Olive Oil
2 Cups Veggie Broth
1/4 Cup Red Wine
2 T Nutritional Yeast
1 Slice Smoked Gouda Cheese

This was pretty straight forward.

I sliced the onion.


Put it in a hot pan with some Olive Oil.



And let the onions cook down for about 10-15 minutes.


I added the broth and wine and let it continue to boil for about 10-15 more minutes



...until the soup was nice and thick. 



Then I poured it into an oven safe cup and topped it with the nutritional yeast and cheese, and put it in the oven under the broiler to toast the cheese. :)


 I served it with spinach salad topped with Edamame, Strawberries, Pumpkin Seeds and some Feta.



Doesn't that just look mouth watering?!? :D

Kai also had a spinach salad with some of the left over chicken.  (this was after she'd had quite a bit of fruit through out the afternoon so she wasn't very hungry)  


The Hubs had his left over chicken also, as well as a more "traditional?" salad... Lettuce and carrots, dressed with store bought Honey Mustard Dressing.



Yep, kinda' blah.  I think my "plate" was much more inviting. lol!


As for the "Leprechaun" heads....

Core your apples....


Quarter them, then cut each quarter in half (each apple makes 4 heads)....


Paint some lemon juice over the whites of each apple slice to keep them from browning....


Add your favorite nutbutter (I used almond butter - the only ingredient is almonds) between 2 slices....



Use the same nutbutter to stick raisins on for eyes....



Then came the hard part...How to accessorize them into leprechauns?  I decided what they needed were top hats.  I used 1/2 a slice of pineapple, a cube of Cantaloupe and a toothpick to create and stick on the hats.  The toothpick worked really well to also insure the face didn't fall apart. :)


I know they don't really look like leprechauns but who cares?  From Kai's reaction so far I'm certain the kids will like them just the same. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment