Tuesday, May 22, 2012

When life gives you lemons...

On our last trip to the grocery store I had Cilantro on the grocery list.  As we shopped the Hubs grabbed a bunch and we continued on our merry way.  Eventually we got home and I set about to use the cilantro in a black bean & corn salsa.  I ungrouped it, rinsed it clean and set about to chop it up but noticed it didn't smell anything like cilantro.  Really it was just the absence of any smell.  Usually with cilantro I can smell it before I even get it out of the bag.  As I investigated further I picked up the wrap-tie thingy and lo and behold we had bought Italian Parsley!!  An honest mistake but I had no clue what to do with it. :)

Well, when in herb-doubt make a pesto!  So that's just what I did.  And now I'm in love.  Even the HUBS liked it!!  Just try and tell me that's not a sign!

Italian Parsley Pesto
I bunch of Italian Parsley - rinsed clean & de-stemmed
1/4-1/2 Cup Pine nuts - toasted in a hot pan (no oil)
2 t chopped garlic (equal to 1 clove)
Juice of 1 lemon
drizzle of Olive Oil (approx 1 T?)

Start by toasting the pine nuts.  I just put them in a hot pan, with nothing else, and swirled them around until they got toasted - Don't let them burn.

In a small processor (like the Ninja) pack all your ingredients and blend until smooth.

That's it!  Quick and simple and oh, so good! :)


Toast your nuts (ha-ha)

Add everything to the food processor

Blend until smooth.

I started out eating it for lunch with some Orzo pasta and nutritional yeast. :)

Of course before lunch was breakfast.  My go-to Oatmeal with the addition of banana, raisins, black strap molasses and coconut whip.

And after lunch was dinner...


We grilled again ('tis the season).


Into my baskets went: Red Onion, Broccoletti, Chopped Parsnips (I nuked them for 2-3 minutes first to soften them) & some small red potatoes, all sprayed with olive oil.
before grilling

after grilling
 For the Hubs I grilled a steak and nuked a potato.  Then Added some spinach to his plate because, well, he should eat more spinach! :)


Kai had a little of the Hub's steak (she didn't like it), a small potato, some salad and some yogurt with a drizzle of honey.

And I had a bed of spinach with the grilled veggies on top and the last of the pesto.



So there you have it,
If life gives you Italian Parsley, Make Pesto!

1 comment:

  1. The other day I steamed some little white potatoes and then glazed them with a spinach-basil pesto that I made and then grilled them. Incredible.

    ReplyDelete