Thursday, October 25, 2012

Halloween Waffles & Pumpkin Patch Snack

This post is going to be all over the place.  I was trying to figure out a way to link everything but it's just not going to happen. :)

1.  Halloween Waffles!  For breakfast this morning I made pumpkin waffles... but with a twist.  Before pouring the batter onto the waffle iron I spooned a bit out and mix that with some cocoa.  Then I poured my batter and spooned a cocoa-face onto the batter to make a Jack-O-Lantern Waffle.  The batter itself wasn't as orange as if I'd used canned pumpkin instead of fresh but you use what you have. :)


Once cooked the face wasn't AS obvious but Kai and I still had a good giggle over it.  A few raisins and a drizzle of honey topped these waffles off. :)


2.  Pomegranate Cutting!  Pomegranates are showing up in the stores again. :)  I love topping just about everything with Pomegranate and yesterday I opened my first of the season. 

Get you Pomegranate, cutting board, knife and large bowl of water.


Cut off the ends & score the sides from end to end.

Start peeling the pomegranate apart and de-seeding it into the water.  The seeds will sink and the skin-stuff (technical term) will float.  It makes it super easy to separate them.  If only pumpkin seeds were that easy to clean. :)

Once all the seeds are out drain the water.  I freeze my seeds, because like blueberries, they thaw almost instantly.  To freeze I spread them on a cookie sheet and put it in the freezer for about an hour (or more).  Then once they're individually frozen I scoop them up and bag them in a freezer bag. :)

3:  Lunch:  It was sad looking but REALLY tasty.  The last of the apple crisp and carrots & Lime Basil Hummus.  To make the Hummus I blended - 1 can drain/rinsed chickpeas, lime juice, flax seed, dried basil, and olive oil until smooth.  I'm sure I snacked on more stuff as the day went on but I have no record or memory of it. lol!

4. Crazy Warm Weather!  Seriously, it's near 80 degrees out.  It's set to cool down again soon but we're enjoying it. :)

5. Dinner:  Roasted broccoli & onion:

 ... topped a bed of greens, with sweet pepper and hummus. :)

6.  PUMPKIN PATCH!!  Ok this is for Kai's lunch so you'll see it in the lunch wrap up but I wanted to share it now because I think it's too cute!  It's just hummus spread in the bottom of one of the lunch boxes and then sliced carrots on toothpicks.  Some of the toothpicks have chives on them to make the pumpkin stems but I really needed fatter Green Onion to thread them all.  (I don't know if there's a difference between Green Onion & Chive and I'm not sure what I have so I'm just going to use the terms interchangeably here) 

No comments:

Post a Comment