Monday, September 12, 2011

Naked Pot Pie

Well, Sunday Football has started and with it comes a craving for comfort food.  :)

Around lunch time I had started thinking about what I wanted for dinner and I had decided a pot pie sounded really, really good.  Then the Hubs told me he was planning on just ordering a pizza so I switched gears.  Of course when ordering time came I was the loan goat in wanting a Garden Fresh pizza and since I cannot eat an entire pizza by myself, I wound up making my pot pie after all.  I'd complain about having to make my dinner while everyone else got to just sit around and watch football, but my dinner turned out so good that I'm ok with it.  Besides, every time there was a highlight it was of one of my Fantasy players getting smoked or getting hurt.  I have a feeling that it's only a matter of time before the NFL requests that for the safety of their players I not participate in Fantasy Football anymore. lol!

BREAKFAST

Breakfast was the old stand by, Oatmeal.  I really do feel bad that there's not more variety in my breakfast for you guys but it's just such a perfect breakfast.  This time I wanted something a little heavier than a fruit topping and my jar of almond butter was looking so very inviting...

Oats topped with:
Cinnamon, Chia Seeds, Almond Butter, Chopped Dates & Pumpkin Seeds

Lunch was a bowl of my current favorite soup:  White Bean & Tomato only this time I used Kale instead of spinach.  It's good to mix things up a bit. :)

So good, I ate 2 bowlfuls of it!!

White Bean & Tomato topped with avocado & tomato

Finally it was time for dinner and I started to make my Pot Pie. :)

NAKED POT PIE
Makes 2 Bowls

1/3 C chopped onion
2 small potatoes - chopped
3/4 C spinach - chopped
2 T Butter
2 T Whole Wheat Flour
1 C Almond Milk
2 C Frozen Mixed Veggies (carrots, corn, peas, green beans)
1/2 C Black Beans
Dashes of your favorite seasonings - I used Oregano & Garlic Powder

Optional: Biscuits or Chopped Toast

In a skillet saute onion, potatoes & spinach until the potatoes are cooked - maybe 10 minutes.
While they're cooking....
In a separate pan on med-low heat melt the butter & stir in the flour and cook for about 2 minutes.
Whisk in the milk.
Add the milk mixture to the pan with your saute and add the frozen veggies, beans and any seasoning you like.
Let simmer on low until heated through and the milk mixture has thickened.
Spoon into a bowl and enjoy with biscuits or toast. :)


saute onion, potatoes & spinach

Butter & Flour Roux

"Gravy" - Roux + Milk

Stir it all together & let thicken
  
I enjoyed mine with toasted Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Grain Bread

No comments:

Post a Comment