Thursday, September 8, 2011

White Bean & Tomato Soup

One of my favorite things about fall is soup.  

Ok I know, technically it still isn't fall but there's no way I'm waiting until the 23rd to start indulging my fall taste buds. :)



And one of my favorite things about soups is that you can basically just throw what you have into a pot and 9 time out of 10 it's a success!

So for lunch today I decided to make some white bean soup...

White Bean & Tomato Soup
Makes 1 big bowl 

1/3 C chopped onion
1/4 t minced garlic
2 tomatoes - chopped separately
2/3 C cooked white bean
1 C Vegetable Stock
1/4 of a block of frozen spinach
1/4 C Orzo Pasta (or you could probably use rice)
feta cheese

Saute the onion & garlic on med heat until the onion is clear.
Add 1 chopped tomato, the beans & the veggie stock and let simmer until the tomatoes are soft and the soup is all juicy.
Use an immersion blender to puree the soup (or put into a blender) so that it's mostly smooth.
Add in your spinach and pasta and let simmer until the orzo is softened (about 5 minutes).
Put in a bowl and add the other chopped tomato & some feta cheese.



simmering beans & tomatoes

Pureed & added spinach

Yum, Yum!

This soup was incredibly filling.  After eating it around noon I only snacked on some watermelon and a small bowl of pumpkin before dinner at 6!  When I thought back on it I figured I had to be wrong - I usually always have something I'm nibbling on but not today.  This soup had some staying power!! :)

Dinner was originally going to be Chili that the Hubs would enjoy (ie tomato, beef & pepper) but he caught some kind of bug so anything more adventurous than toast was pretty much off the menu. :(

Instead I drizzled some coconut oil & apple cider vinegar on some okra & green beans and roasted them at 450°, added some left over frozen-then-thawed broccoli cous-cous and the last of the can of pumpkin with raisins on top.   Kinda random & thrown together last minute but still very tasty.

Had to add the pumpkin to keep from a green over load!

No comments:

Post a Comment