Thursday, October 13, 2011

Birthday Muffins!

Well, when all else fails, call 'em muffins and say you did it on purpose!! 


Umm, Mom, I'm not completely sure about this...

Never mind, it's still good!!




Rainbow Birthday Muffins
Makes 24 Cupcakes


1/2 C butter
1/2 C Unsweetened Apple Sauce
1/4 C Truvia
1/8 C Brown Sugar or Sucanat (I used a mix b/c I ran out of Sucanat)
1 t Salt
4 Eggs
1 T vanilla
1 C Greek Yogurt

2 1/4 C Whole Wheat Flour (should have used WW Pastry Flour, but I didn't have any)
1 C White Flour
1 1/2 t Baking Powder
3/4 t Baking Soda



Bring all the ingredients to room temperature.
Pre-heat oven to 350°
Cream the Butter, Apple Sauce, Truvia & sugars.
Add the eggs 1 at a time.
In a separate bowl mix the Yogurt & Vanilla.
In another separate bowl sift the Flours, Baking Powder & Baking Soda.
Slowly add the yogurt & flour mixtures to the first bowl alternating between them (ie.  add a little flour, then add a little yogurt, then add some more flour, etc...)


*At this point my batter seemed more like a REALLY sticky pizza dough - I knew these "Cupcakes" were not on track.  Of course there was nothing to be done though but to solderer on. :)


Into 4 cups I placed ziplock bags and divided the batter between them.  Then I added food coloring - red, yellow, blue & green - one color per bag.  I sealed the bags and massaged them until the dough/batter was all colored. 


Line 2 cupcake/muffin pans (24 cupcakes total) with cupcake liners (REVISION:  On day 2 it was a struggle to get the paper off.  In the future I'd just rub the pan with some coconut oil and pour directly into it)  and squirt some blue into the bottom of each...just a bit. :)  Then start layering your other colors...Blue, Green, Yellow, Red.


Pop them into the oven for 30-40 minutes.


Frost how ever you like - I used Ricemellow (Ricemellow Creme contains no refined sugars, no preservatives, and no artificial colors or flavors. It is also fat-free, cholesterol free, gluten free, and contains no GMOs.).


I also bought some organic sprinkles that had no artificial coloring (and yes, I do realize I used artificial colors to dye the batter) but they were not nearly as vibrant as the picture on the box led me to believe so in the end I just used regular rainbow sprinkles.


With Sprinkles, with just Ricemellow & without any adornment.


Now here's hoping the kids in her class like them!  The Hubs agreed that they were good but definitely fall more in the Birthday Muffin than Birthday Cupcake category.  And for Saturday's party, I plan to use the cake recipe my Uncle just sent me...Without substitutions. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment