Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween!

With one day until Halloween and a bag of not-so-delicious apples on the counter I decided to pull out my juicer and make some cider.  10 cored apples later I had 3.5 cups of cider...and a LOT of left over pulp.

Since I had cored the apples the pulp didn't have any seeds in it so I decided to make something out of it.

But what to make???

When in doubt just start tossing stuff in a bowl. lol!

I didn't measure, I just added and stirred until it all looked good.

Into the bowl went...
Apple Pulp
Oatmeal
Raisins
Pecans
Cinnamon and Sucanat
...and Sprinkles (hey, that's what happen's when your helper is 4!)

Then I baked it at 325° for about two hours.


Warm and topped with some Ricemellow and a few more sprinkles...


Drool worthy!

So there you have it...
If you juice and have left over pulp go ahead and see what you can mix in and create!

Now, dinner had a bit more direction. :)

I've been seeing stuffed bell peppers all over but since the Hubs most likely wouldn't try it and Kai would never finish one, I hate the idea of wasting a full bell on each of their meals.  Then I saw this little bag of peppers and a light bulb went off!  They're perfect!! :)


LITTLE STUFFED PEPPERS

First I made the stuffing
1/4 C Quinoa
1/2 C Water
1/2 Avocado
Spoonful Tomato Paste
1/4 C Mozzarella Cheese

Put the Quinoa in the water in a sauce pan and bring to a boil.  Let simmer until the Quinoa has absorbed all the water and is fully cooked (they'll have little rings).
In a bowl mash the Quinoa, Avocado, Tomato Paste and Cheese together.
I admit, It doesn't look like much...yet
While the Quinoa's cooking cut the tops off your peppers and then cut little eyes & mouths into the them...Or if it's not the day before Halloween, just leave the faces off. :P


Stuff your peppers and they're ready to eat.  I filled 6 and had about half the stuffing left over so Frodo and I  wound up eating the left overs out of a bowl. :)

On the side we had some mashed Potatoes/Cauliflower Ghosts...
I nuked a potato and about 1/2 a bag of frozen cauliflower until they were soft.  Added some Almond milk and used my immersion blender to smooth it all out.  Then I made little piles of them and added Pomegranate eyes. :)



I loved the meal.  Kai ate one of each (my rule is that if she doesn't at least try everything then she doesn't get dessert) and she was done.  But she did have fun playing with it all. lol!

Dessert was crust-less pumpkin pie. :D

This Kai did like.  In fact, if the Hubs had been any later (he's still helping his parents move) Kai may have stolen his.  Fortunately he got home just as we had finished up so his little bowl was safe.

To make it I made a half batch of this recipe then poured it into 3 ramekin bowls instead of a pie shell.

If I hadn't used the last of my Maple Syrup I would have probably started soaking more cashews tonight!  It was THAT good.

Baked up and ready to hit the fridge!
Yep, We definitely saved the best for last... :D


No comments:

Post a Comment