Thursday, October 6, 2011

Pink Ribbons

There are 3 things that make October significant to me...

1. Kai's Birthday!!  :)
2. Halloween
3. Breast Cancer Awareness

Yep, I a fan of second base.  My aunt and one of my closest friend are both survivors.  My Grandma was a survivor.   In fact, I'm fortunate that everyone I personally know who has been diagnosed has survived!  Yeah for all that research!! 

Now, we've been planning and planning for Kai's birthday.  And boy do I have ideas!!  But I'll share those with you later. :)

And you've already seen some of our Halloween "monster" cakes.

But how to put a fun twist on Breast Cancer awareness?

Well, once again I resorted to my friend, the Pancake...


Aren't they so cute!!  Little pink ribbon pancakes.  I had actually considered making them look like little boobies but honestly, do you really want to cut into, and eat, a ta-ta.  Ummm, No! ....At least I don't.  Maybe that's your thing.  I won't judge. :)

Of course, we still had to make them into faces.  I think I may have dug myself into a hole with the whole pancake-face thing.   Apparently breakfast isn't ready until it's been sillyfied. :)



BEET PANCAKES
1/3 C Old Fashioned Oats
1/3 C Cottage Cheese
1 Egg
1/2 Roasted Beet (I roasted 2 the night before and then stuck them in the fridge for later eating)
Almond Milk to thin to a batter consistency


Put the oats, cottage cheese, egg and beet in a blender and puree.  Add milk to get the right consistency (you want it to be pourable).


Heat your skillet or griddle and cook up your pancakes the way you normally would.  The beet flavor isn't very noticeable - mostly they just give them a nice deep pink color.


** To make the ribbon shapes I put a ziplock bag in a large cup and folded the top over.  Then I poured the batter into the bag and sealed it.  Nip the corner of the bag and, BAM!, you've got a pancake-pastry bag.  Just squirt your batter out and make your favorite shapes (in my case ribbons and hearts).


** When you go to flip the pancakes slid your spatula under the thicker side first (ie. the top of the ribbon or the double bump of the heart).  It will help keep you from breaking your "designs".

1 comment: