Thursday, February 9, 2012

A difficult book to read

Breakfast yesterday was pretty straight forward.  Kai had Cheerios topped with almond milk, pineapple, raisins and chia seeds.  I had left over quinoa porridge topped with pineapple, chia seeds and coconut whip.


Lunch was Tuna Salad... Tuna, Dijon Mustard, about 1/2 an Avocado and a couple spoonfuls of Greek Yogurt....


All mixed together...YUM!!


As a side we also had Kale Chips - Kale leaves de-stemmed and torn up & sprayed with Olive Oil.  Then roasted at 425 for about 10 minutes (watch carefully, you don't want them to burn)


I had my tuna salad on a bed of spinach, tomatoes, sweet pepper and sunflower seeds.

Kai had hers on crackers with a small side salad of spinach, tomatoes and sweet pepper.

And then we topped the Kale Chips with lots of nutritional yeast. :)


For dinner I made the Italian Layered Vegetable Casserole again.  Seriously, this meal is directly resulting in my plans to have Eggplant and Zuchini in my garden next year.  AND this time Kai ate all that I put on her plate!  The only changes this time was that I used Kale instead of spinach...and I added kale as another layer.  I'm in a Kale mood today! :)

First I made up the marinara.  This is my go-to, super quick & easy marinara....

Saute Onion

Add 1 can tomatoes, minced garlic & basil.

Let cook then blend until mostly smooth.
All layered up and ready to cook.

While I was making my casserole I decided to also make some garlic bread.

I started by making 1/4 recipe of French Bread.

Then after rolling the bread out I sprayed it with a bit more olive oil and smeared minced garlic on it.  (According to the Hubs I did not have nearly enough garlic...You may want to add garlic powder also to boost the flavor).


Then I just rolled it up, let it rise & baked it as normal.


The final meal was the veggie casserole, left over chicken pasta bake from the night before and the "not-garlicy-enough" bread....


Nom, nom, nom...



In other news I'm almost finished with Room...


I'm really struggling with this particular book, which is new for me.  Usually I get a book and I start reading it and I can't put it down.  I love reading!  It's my escape. It's something I can do anywhere.  It's something I can do on my schedule.  If I try and watch a show but then have to get some work done or start playing with Kai, then I miss part of the show and lose the plot.  With a book I can just throw in my bookmark and pick up right where I left off. :)

So what's the problem with Room?  It's not the subject manor.  It definitely does had a disturbing, wish this couldn't possibly happen in the real world but it does, subject but I can handle that.  What throws me is the writing style.  The story is told from the perspective of a 5 year old.  That means incomplete sentences and choppy thought patterns.  I deal with that all day with Kai (although she's somewhat easier since I know her so well).  The last thing I want to do during my escape is listen to a kid...as much as I really do love my own. :)

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to finishing the book ASAP (because regardless of how hard it is to read, I need to know the end). 


No comments:

Post a Comment