Sunday, February 5, 2012

Super Sunday

It's Super Sunday!  In case you haven't heard there's a little football game happening in Indy. :)

Gotta cheer for Payton's little Bro!! :)
Since the game doesn't start until late (Stupid West Coast) we're staying home. Kai still has school tomorrow so it's just easier that way.  But it will be more than just the three of us.  My parents are coming over, as well as another friend. :)

And since I now have a nice chalk board on my pantry door I went ahead an wrote up our "Menu".


Need a closer look?...



The main food will be Wings.  The Hubs is making Buffalo & BBQ.  Assuming I was listening correctly he plans to cook them in the oven, add sauce and then cook some more.  But that's all him.  I don't do Buffalo sauce.  Something about the smell of it has always made me sick.

I'm making Teriyaki Tempa "wings" for anyone who doesn't want chicken wings (i.e. me).   I was going to get all creative and just start throwing flavors together but then I came across this recipe and decided to follow it instead. :)

Source

Earlier this week I saw this chili dip and immediately saved it to my favorites for during the game.  I figure that with a little avocado and some tortilla chips I may not leave the snack table! lol!!

Yesterday I made up some Salsa to use:
Pulsed 1 Red Onion, 1 Sweet Pepper & Handful of Cilantro
Added 1 cube of Lime Juice (~ 1-2 T)
Added 1 Can of Diced Tomatoes with Chili
Stirred it all together & let sit over night. :)

Source

Since my parents are coming my mom wanted to know what to bring.  My first response was Rice Krispy Treats in the shape of footballs ('cause she has all the time in the world do shape them -jk).  But then she mentioned making Pretzels.  Ding, ding, ding, ding - we have a winner!!  Homemade, warm, soft pretzels with a beer cheese dip. mmmmm!

I also made up a small batch of Chocolate Meringue Cookies* in what are supposed to be football shapes.  Right now they kinda' look like little piles of pooh. :(  I'm hoping that if I add some white stripes/laces that will help.  Either that or we'll just call them our tribute to the Patriots...hmmm!  (all in good fun!)

* Recipe Below



And as a last treat we'll have "Ants on a Log".  This was a last minute addition when we realized that I had the Hubs get me celery at the Grocery store when I already had a full bag.  The plan is to fill half with Jiffy Peanut Butter (Hubs Version) and half with a Peanut Butter Hummus* (my version).  Then we'll top them with raisins & maybe white chocolate chips (left over from Christmas Cookies).

* Recipe Below

Source
At the store on Friday the Hubs bought a BIG bag of Chex mix and some cookies, so that will also be out for snacking.

As for drinks, we have the standard Soda, Beer, Water, etc...

And I'll probably be having one of these....



Last night I made what is now my absolute FAVORITE adult drink:
1 frozen banana, Ice, Almond Milk, & Kahlua - blend until smooth.

I'm sure someone else has created this combo before but OMG!!  It was so good.  I'm thinking tonight I may add a spoonful of cocoa to it too. :D


RECIPES

Chocolate Meringue Cookies
2 Egg White
4 Pkts Truvia Sugar
Dash Cream of Tartar
1 T Cocoa Powder
2 Shakes Cinnamon

Bring a pot of water to a boil.  Add the egg whites, Sugar & Cream of Tartar to a bowl and whisk the bowl over the boiling water until everything is dissolved.  It doesn't take very long at all but it does warm the eggs which will let them whip better (or so I'm told).
In a heavy duty mixer (I used my Kitchen Aid) whisk the egg whites from the bowl until they're stiff.
Add the cocoa powder & cinnamon and whisk a few more seconds so that it's incorporated.
Pipe into Football/Patriot Pooh shapes onto a non-stick pan (I covered my pan with a silicone mat)
Bake at 200° for an hour.  Turn the heat off and leave in the oven another 2-3 hours.
They should just peel right off. :)

Peanut Butter Hummus
1 can chickpeas - drained & rinsed
1/2 "cup" of Chobani Vanilla Greek Yogurt (approx 3oz)
3 T Peanut Butter (only ingredients are Peanuts)
2 T Ground Flax Seed (optional)
2 T Nutritional Yeast (optional)

Blend it all together until smooth.  If it needs thinned out more then add more yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment