Wednesday, February 8, 2012

French Toast & Porridge in a Cone

Good morning!  Valentine's Day is going on in full swing in this house hold.  

Yesterday's breakfast was inspired by Snack Girl.  French Toast with a berry compote filling....


To make the french toast I whisked 1 egg, 1/4 Cup Almond Milk and a couple dashes of Cinnamon;
then I dipped 2 sliced of whole grain bread into the egg bath and cooked them in an Olive-Oil-Sprayed pan on med heat - flipping after the first side was browned.
For the filling I just warmed some frozen mixed berries in the microwave then stirred 2 T of Chia Seeds in with them to help thicken the liquid and to give the meal more staying power.
A cookie cutter removed a heart out of the center to make it a bit more fun.
Oh, and then I added some Coconut Whip to take it to the next level.
A 10 minute breakfast with so much charm...Win!!

Lunch was inspired by a snack book Grammy gave Kai.  In it was a cake cone with a tapioca-yogurt filling. I don't have any tapioca so instead I decided to make a Quinoa Porridge to put in the cones.  The quinoa includes a complete protein so I thought it would make a better lunch anyway.  :)

Quinoa Porridge
1 C Quinoa
2.5 C Almond Milk
2 T Maple Syrup
1 t vanilla
2 T Arrowroot Powder
1/2 C Frozen Mixed Berries (to make it pink-ish)

Mix the Quinoa and Almond Milk together and bring to a boil.  Let simmer about 15 minutes, until the quinoa's cooked (it will still be liquidy)


In a separate bowl heat the berries in the microwave.  Once they're soft again pour them into a blender (I used my Ninja) and puree.  Add the 2 T Arrowroot Powder to the berries and blend some more.

Once the Quinoa is cooked, add the berry mixture, the maple syrup and vanilla; and stir it all together. 


Yes, I boiled over and it made a huge mess!!
 Then scoop the porridge into your container of choice.  Our choice?


The cake cones...

Served topped with fresh pineapple, a small squirt of coconut whip, and a side of Broccoli with Nutritional Yeast. 

Of course we had to buy the cake cones first.  I found these... they had the shortest, most readable ingredient list I could find. lol!



As for the Fresh Pineapple...


When at the store Kai saw this and said that we needed pineapple.  I thought, "what the hell" so we threw it into the cart.  Believe it or not, I've never cut a fresh pineapple before.  It was pretty straight forward. :)

Cut off the top & bottom, and then cut off the sides/skin.


Then Remove the center.   I tried using a heart shaped cookie cutter but that was really hard and took too much of the good stuff so I wound up just chopping it all up.


AND THEN when the Hubs got home he asked if we wanted to go get Frozen Yogurt!!!

Can't say no to that!!

Kai got strawberry vanilla swirl with sprinkles, gummy bears, conversation hearts and cherries.  (She ate so much better when I was the one choosing her toppings instead of her picking, lol!)


I had Original Tart flavor with as much fruit as I could pile on top, plus some mochi. :)


For dinner I had an Alumni meeting so I made the Hubs and Kai a pasta bake. 

Boiled Penne mixed with:
A batch of sauce: 1 onion chopped & sauteed, 1 can of diced tomato, 1/2 t minced garlic and 1 T dried basil.  Brought to a simmer and then blended until smooth.
and 2 servings of pulled chicken.
and topped with 1/8 C Mozzarella Cheese

Baked at 350° for about 40 minutes.


To hold me over, and to give me something to eat while they ate, I had a spinach salad.



The Alumni meeting was at Dawson's on Main and I got the French Onion Soup.  It was very good but there was a LOT of cheese.  I probably left 3/4 of the cheese in the bowl when I was done!  We also split a Spinach and Artichoke Dip.  At the meeting we discussed future alumni get togethers... So if there are any Ritter Alumni out there reading this... Make sure you come to the Pot Of Gold Dinner.  We're going to have so much fun (and I'm pretty sure that I'm going to need some help at the music trivia, since all the songs I know are targeted for kids!)

No comments:

Post a Comment