Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Dates, Yats & Pizza...Now that's a day!!

What's that you see on top of my pumpkin/oatmeal/almond milk concoction?...


Why it's dates of course!  I love that I'm restocked. :)

Yesterday my sister and nieces went with me to pick Kai up from school and then we were off to Yats for lunch. I couldn't wait to introduce it to my sister and I thought the girls would like it too.

Sadly I was wrong.  The girls most definitely did NOT like it. 

Well, they liked the bread.  And the plain rice.  And Adelaide storta' liked the Spinach Mushroom Etouffee.

But for the most part they didn't want anything to do with lunch.  Oh well, more for us. :)

Spinach Mushroom Etouffee and Succotash
I've said it before, but the VERY best thing about Yats is that it's just a few doors down from Yogulatte. (FYI: Yogulatte sells gift cards & Christmas is just around the corner - Hint, Hint mom, lol!)
Hello Pumpkin Yogurt!!! :D

Kai rocked out while Adelaide finished her yogurt.

Even Lorelei can't pass up yogurt!
After that we headed out so my sister could visit one of the schools she used to teach at.  It's actually our grade school alma mater and a really fun place!  Since it's a Montessori school the kids learn at their own pace and are allowed to discover things on their own.  Like I said, it's a really fun place.

Unfortunately I am not the best at giving directions and even thought I knew where we were at all times, and I knew exactly where the school was, I couldn't connect the two dots.  So we took a very scenic route to get there.  lol!!

After getting home and catching up on a lot of work I invited my sister, her girls and my dad over for dinner (my mom was working)...aka Pizza Night!

I had Spinach, Eggplant & Onion

The girl's mini pizzas

The Hub's sausage & cheese

My dad's Sausage, Eggplant & cheese

Abee & Lorelei shared an EVERYTHING Pizza...
sausage, eggplant, onion, spinach & cheese

For the pizzas I made up the "options" and crust ahead of time so once everyone arrived we could make up the pizza and eat.

Spinach:  clean & chop
Eggplant:  Sliced into discs, dipped in a mix of Tamari Sauce (soy sauce) & Liquid Smoke, and roasted at 400°
Onion: Sliced and Sauteed until good and brown. :)
Sausage: Bought pre-cooked, heated in the microwave & crumbled
Sauce: Literally Tomato Sauce + Italian Seasoning & Basil
Mozzarella Cheese: Store bought
Olive Oil, Minced Garlic, etc...
Crust: See Below

PIZZA CRUST
1 packet Yeast
1 T Honey
1 C Hot Water
3 C Whole Wheat Pastry Flour + 1/2 C if needed
1/2 C Olive Oil

Mix the honey in warm water and gently stir in the yeast until dissolved.  Let sit in a warm dry place until a film forms on the top.
In a mixing bowl (I use my Kitchen Aid mixer) mix the 3 C flour, Olive Oil & Yeast + Water.
Kneed for 5 minutes.  If still sticky slowly add the remaining flour & continue to kneed.
Form the dough into a ball and put in a bowl coated with Olive Oil (the olive oil will allow the dough to grow).  Let sit for about 40 minutes then punch it down and let it sit for another 30 or so minutes.
Divide the dough into the number of Pizzas you want to make (I made 4 adult size & 2 small).

Top your dough & bake on a stone at 500° until the cheese is browned. 
Slice & Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment