Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Potato-Chickpea Cakes

mmmmm, potato cakes.  I've loved them since I was in grade school and a classmate's dad would come in for Hanukkah and make them every year.  Topped with a little apple sauce, it's heavenly. :)


When I was younger I'd try to recreate them with left over instant mashed potatoes, an egg & some flour.  Now the idea of instant mashed potatoes makes me cringe...literally.  I'm actually making a face as I type this.


As I got older I wised up and started using actual potatoes.  I'd pull out my food processor and use the shredding blade to make up a big batch of shredded potatoes and then I'd dry them off and add some shredded onion, flour & egg before cooking them up.  There's nothing wrong with that "recipe"...other than it's a pain to clean the food processor and to dry the potatoes.  It's a bit more work than I'd like to put out for a simple lunch.


So when I saw a recipe where they just chopped the potatoes and put them in a blender I was sold.  I decided it would be fun to play with my ingredients and make a delicious EASY potato cake.  And that's just what I did. :D


POTATO-CHICKPEA CAKES
makes 6


1/4 Onion
1 egg
1 C Cooked Chickpeas
1 Potato - chopped
2 T Whole Wheat Flour
Optional:  2 t paprika or other seasoning


Heat your Griddle to 375.
In a blender (I used my Ninja) pulse the onion, egg & chickpeas.
Add the potato & pulse until you get a semi-smooth consistency. (I like to keep a little texture in mine.)
Stir the flour & seasoning then pour/scoop onto your hot griddle (I pre-sprayed mine with some olive oil).
Cook for 5-10 minutes (until golden) then flip and cook the other side.
Serve with apple sauce, yogurt or avocado. :)


Scoops of batter ready to cook. :)

Flipped to cook side 2

We ate ours with avocado & carrots.

No comments:

Post a Comment