Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Soup & Dumplings

You can definitely tell it's Fall in our yard...
That purple blur is Kai speeding away
after throwing some leaves at the Hubs. lol!
And the weather was so nice that while playing outside Kai drew herself a little friend to play with...
That would be Kai & Samantha...
and it would appear I got my feet in the picture also!
So what do you eat when you're in a 100%, utterly and completely, in a fall mood?


Soup of course...

This soup was actually my dinner the night before, my lunch yesterday and my dinner again last night.  And even after 3 straight meals of it I could have eaten more.  I LOVE Soup! :)

This delicious mix included:
Sauteed: Onion + Carrot + Celery + Chopped Potato
Veggie Broth
1 Can No-Salt Added Diced Tomatoes (with juice)
Frozen Okra + Frozen Green Beans
1/2 Can Drained & Rinsed Chickpeas

All simmered together.  Then topped with some Nutritional Yeast.

The Hubs also had some soup but I didn't get a very good picture of it.  :(


I know the picture doesn't make it look very appetizing but the Hubs said it was one of his favorites!

With a review like that I have to share the recipe...Even if I don't have a very good picture. :)

CHICKEN SOUP WITH DUMPLINGS
Made 2 Servings

1/2 Onion
1 Carrot - chopped
1 Celery Stick - chopped
1 Chicken Breast
Water (or you can use broth)
Dried Basil & Thyme

DUMPLINGS:
3/8 C Flour
1/2 t Baking Powder
Pinch of Salt
Dried Basil
1/4 C Milk
1/4 T Ground Flax

Saute the Onions until transparent.  Add the Carrot and Celery and cook for a bit longer.
Add your Chicken Breast & enough water to barely cover it and bring to a boil.
Add your spices to taste and let simmer until the chicken is cooked.
Use a wooden spoon or spatula to break the chicken up into "bites".
Turn up the heat on the soup so that the soup comes to a boil.
In a bowl mix your ingredients for the dumplings.  They should come out like a sticky thick batter. (add flour or water if you need to adjust the consistency)
Scoop small spoonfuls of the batter into the boiling soup.  They should start to cook immediately.
Turn the heat back down and let simmer another 10 minutes, then serve.


1 comment:

  1. Love the photo of Kai, Samantha, and your feet! Soup is one of my go to meals this time of year, too. :D

    ReplyDelete