Monday, August 8, 2011

At Home Yogurt

I use Greek Yogurt as a substitute for many things.  Calls for sour cream - use Greek Yogurt.  Mayonnaise?  Greek Yogurt.  

Ummmm,  Ok maybe not many things.  I guess I only use it as a substitute for 2 things.  But I do use it a lot. :)

Greek Yogurt is $$$!   Too expensive considering how easy it is to make at home.

All you need is a crock pot, 1/2 gallon of milk, a "starter" and a strainer + cheese cloth.

So Very Easy!


Pour 1/2 gallon milk into your crock pot and put on low.

Let sit for 2.5 hours.

Turn the crock pot off (and unplug) and let sit for 3 more hours with the lid on so the temperature comes down.  (I often miss my alarm clock and let it sit for closer to 3.5 hours)

Gently whisk in approximately 1/4-1/2 Cup of starter.  You can use PLAIN store bought yogurt with live cultures to start and then just use the yogurt you made previously as your new starter.


Wrap your crock pot in an over sized towel to help insulate it and then let it sit over night, or 8-12 hours.  (I always let it sit for 12 hours)


Now you technically have yogurt in your crock pot but I like mine THICK so out comes the strainer.

Put the strainer in a big bowl to catch the drippings.
Line the strainer with a cheese cloth.
Pour your yogurt in.
Let it sit for about an hour so you get a lot of the liquid out.


Then pour out the liquid from the bowl and put the whole thing into the fridge for a couple hours.  I just let it sit in there until I get to it.  You can freeze the drippings to use as a protein in smoothies but I didn't like it.   :)


Then I just scoop it into an old yogurt container and I'm done for 1-2 weeks.


Delicious Home Made Yogurt!


No comments:

Post a Comment