Monday, August 22, 2011

Take me Out to the Ball Game

Sunday we took Kai to her very first baseball game!

Her first skate & first baseball game all in one weekend.  AWESOME...

For lunch I had what I had been dreaming about since going to the grocery store on Saturday:

MY BOWL:  Spinach + Kale + Quinoa + Strawberries + Blue Berries + Mango + Feta + Balsamic Vinegar
Kai's Plate:  Jelly Sandwhich + Quinoa + fruit mix + brownie (daddy's contribution)
Let me just tell you that if I hadn't finished off the mango while doing some of dinner's dishes I'd be having this exact same salad again...and again...and again.  It was that good!

And then we were off to the ball game...

Whoo-hoo!!

We got there as the 2nd inning was starting (I may have been dawdling at getting out the door).  We sat down, got a pretzel & popcorn and started to enjoy the game.

By the end of the 3rd inning (after the Indian's scored a run!!) it had started to rain...

Then it started to pour...

And it just kept raining.

So we, like everyone else, sought shelter until it let up.

RAIN?!?
By this point Kai was tired and had NO interest in the game.
We decided not to force it and left.  (Strike 1)

I was kinda bummed.  In my mind we were going to have an fun day and it basically rained on my parade game.  The hubs even offered to go get some Fro-Yo (a sure fire way to cheer me up) and I reluctantly (wink-wink) agreed.  As we were driving to YoguLatte I looked in the back seat and Kai was out cold.  So the Fro-Yo was out since we didn't want to wake her (strike 2 for the day!) 

See I even dug out a BASEBALL Cap to wear!
We headed home and hung out until dinner.  I decided that I wanted baked beans and grilled veggies.  The hubs wanted hot dogs so we fired up the grill. :)


3 Nathan's All Beef Dogs for Kai and the Hubs
Veggies: Chopped eggplant, butternut squash, zucchini, onion & bell pepper with salt & EVOO
For the baked beans I modified the Oh She Glows Maple Baked Bean Recipe with what I had which meant:


BAKED BEANS
2.5 C cooked/frozen Navy Beans
2 Green Onions - chopped
1.5 T Molasses
1.5 T Maple Syrup
1 T Apple Cider Vinegar
2 t Dijon Mustard
2 chopped tomatoes from the garden :)
Pinch of salt
handful of Raisins


I put it all into a pot on the stove on low until the beans defrosted then tuned it up to get a good boil.  Once it boiled I turned it back down to simmer until it thickened up (about 30 minutes)


I had more than enough left over for tomorrow's lunch. :D


Grilled Veggies, Beans & Watermelon
The beans & Watermelon were perfect.  I LOVED them both.  The veggies were just ok.  I didn't like how the eggplant absorbed all the EVOO and it just didn't taste right  (Strike 3 - you're out!).  I've never had much success grilling veggies.  If anyone has any tips then let me know.  I think I'm going to stick to roasting in the oven. 


Fortunately I had dessert to pick things back up.


Greek Yogurt + Mango


It was no Fro-Yo but I'm calling it close enough! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment