Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Silver Lining

Breakfast yesterday was a hot bowl of oatmeal, as usual, topped with strawberries, bananas, chia seeds and cinnamon; while Kai had her standard bowl of Multigrain Os and Kix with a side of banana and a hard boiled egg.  Our breakfast has become pretty routine, which even though I prefer a bit more variety, it does helps us stay on time, so for now I'm just going to go with it.

After snacking on some frozen grapes we went on a walk before for lunch.  I wanted to finish off the black bean & corn salsa so I made myself a bowl of "Salsa Salad".

Massaged kale, spinach, BB&C Salsa, Tomato Salsa, Avocado, Chopped Bells and Nutritional Yeast

A little later we snacked on an Apple & Banana drizzled with chocolate.

Then came dinner.  Same time every day.  I knew it was coming.  And yet I had no idea what to make.  Don't you just hate that?  You're hungry but nothing sounds good - or if it does sound good you don't have the time/ingredients to make it.  In the end I decided to bake some tofu.  I drained, pressed & sliced it, then made up a marinade.  Popped it into the oven at 425° and bake for 20-30 minutes (ok, I started at 450° but they were starting to burn).
Slice, slice, slice


Marinade:  2 T Miso, Juice of 1 Lime, 2 T Tamari, + Couple shakes of Liquid Smoke

Dip the slices into the marinade and bake.

In the end I found these editable but not as good as I would have liked.  The combo of the Miso & Tamari was too salty for my tastes.  Ehh, you can't win them all. :)
Now the side was DELICIOUS.  Roasted Broccoli, Cauliflower & Potatoes.  I wish I had made more!  A lot more!!


Frozen broccoli & cauliflower + a chopped potato with a spray of EVOO &
a sprinkle of "Savory" seasoning I found in our pantry.  Roasted in the toaster oven at 475
°

Final dinner was a wrap with spinach tomato & tofu + roasted veggies + cuke

Now, if you were paying attention then I'm sure, based on the title of this post, your expecting a silver lining to the salty eatable-but-not-wowing tofu.   Here it is...

It's so tasty cold!  Yep, around 9 last night I was nosing around the fridge and decided to eat 1/2 a slice while I picked what I was really going to eat (we all do that right?  Snack on something while deciding what to snack on...In the end I chose an apple)  I was shocked at how good it was! 

So there you have it.  Dinner's trash became Snack's treasure. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment