Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Personal Pizza & Pasta Salad...What's better?

It seems like I've been wanting to make personal pizzas for weeks.  In reality it's been days, but when you really want something time becomes altered.  Kinda like how Christmas Eve seems to last forever...

Today I decided I was making pizza...no matter what!  Ha-ha, take that Mr. Excuse!!  I made a preemptive Strike!

At first Kai didn't want pizza but the lure of making your own is too much for any kid to resist.

Before begining I made a "mom" topping...
Sauteed Onions, Kohlrabi Greens & Spinach

I knew as I was making it Kai would  not be cool with the "green" topping.  She's just not into sauteed greens.    :(

Then the fun started.

2 Ezekel 4:9 Sprouted Grain English Muffins.

I LOVE the Ezekel Sprouted Grains.  They just taste so darn good!

Open up so there are 4 "pizzas" and start topping...


First I spritzed them with some EVOO then I added....

Tomato Paste for the Sauce, 3 got the "greens", sun-dried tomatoes,
Italian Seasoning (Basil, Oregano, Thyme, Rosemary, Marjoram, Garlic)
And of course a bit of Mozzarella & Parmesan Cheese
Then another spritz of EVOO

Pop into the oven at 350° until you just can't wait any longer (about 5-10 minutes).

Kai's Plate...


....Wait, are those raisins & bunnies????
Yes they are!  When you make your own pizza you get to pick the toppings,
And Kai wanted Raisins & Bunnies.

She did eat the toppings before eating the crust...upside down.
Ehh, to each their own.

My pizza was a bit more traditional looking...


I know, there are only 2 on my plate.  
I saved one in case Kai decided she wanted it.
She didn't.  I did.  And it was just as delicious as the first 2!
__________________________________________________

Then this evening the Hubs and I had an orientation meeting for Kai's school.
Yes, she's starting pre-school this week!  Fingers crossed all goes well. :)

Well we needed to be at the school at 5 and I figured we'd be back by six so I wanted to make dinner ahead of time and have it ready to go when we got home.  I present to you..

Pasta Salad
           Chicken Pasta     Quinoa Pasta    Chicken & Quinoa Pasta

This is SO SIMPLE and such a hit with EVERYONE.
every part can be adjusted to your tastes - use the pasta you like, veggies you like, etc...

1.  Make up 3 servings of pasta (I used Market Pantry Penne Plus Multigrain Pasta)
Cook about a minute or so less than recommended so that they're good and al-dente.
Strain with ice or cold water to stop the cooking.

2.  While the pasta's cooking chop up your favorite Veggies.
I used Zucchini, Tomatoes, Assorted Bell Pepper, Sun-Dried Tomato, and Kernels from 1 ear of Corn

3.  Mix your Pasta & Veggies in a bowl and add some Italian Dressing.
I had some home-made left over from this Tomato-Cucumber Salad.

4.  Now's the time to add your protein assuming everyone's having the same thing.
I recommend left-over shredded chicken, Cooked Quinoa or your favorite bean.
(Since I like Quinoa & the Hubs likes chicken I wait and add the protein just before serving.)

5.  Put into the fridge until you're ready to eat.

(1-5 Takes all of 15 minutes - QUICK)

6.  When you're ready to eat take it out and stir.  
*HUBS - DO NOT READ --> I added about 1/4C nutritional yeast to the salad
*HUBS - CONTINUE READING --> I added cheese to the Hub's & Kai's bowls

We got home at 6 and I was putting the Bowls on the table at 6:05.

I wish the picture did this dish justice.  It's so pretty with the different colored veggies and since they're raw the Hubs actually likes them.  This was also the first time I've added corn and I REALLY liked the sweetness it brought to the salad. 

Of course I can't stop with one bowl.  I'm an eater.  So I added a plate of veggies & humus when no one was looking...


And there you have it.  I'm honestly not sure which meal was better.
I guess that's why we get 3 meals a day!!

1 comment: