Friday, August 26, 2011

Beets & Pizzas

For lunch yesterday I wanted to use my beets.  They've been in the veggie draw for a long time and while beets can last a good long while, I didn't want to push my luck...and I HATE having to throw out food. 

So Plan #1 was to roast the beets and then decide what to do with them from there:

Clean Beets and a drizzle of EVOO

All wrapped up & into the oven for about an hour

Unwrapped and cooling

The skin slides right off under a bit of running water

Chopped up and read to eat.


Now that I had beets I needed to figure out what to do with them...

I'm a salad whore.  I admit it.  I'll take a salad morning, noon & night.  Throw a little quinoa in there for protein and I'm a happy camper.
A bit of orange juice marinating with the beats

Mixed with some Quinoa and added to a bed of spinach + feta &  Humus

Kai on the other hand, loves herself a jelly sandwich.  But I refuse to slap jelly on bread and let it go.  If that's going to be the main thing she eats then we're going to bump up the nutrition.  And the best part?  I don't have to be sneaky.  She LOVES to help sprinkle some nutritional yeast & flax seed on there before we spread the jelly. 

Pull out the dino bread cutters

Before spreading anything make sure the dinos are kissing.
If you try to do this when they're facing the same direction they're not going to sandwich together properly.
I know, It seems obvious now but we've all had our moments. lol!


Jelly Dino, Beet Salad & Humus

For Dessert:  Yogurt with magno, chia & sprouts
OK - Kai did not want this.  She wanted watermelon but I didn't take a picture of the watermelon.  :)

Now how do you top that colorful of a lunch??  Pizza!!


Pizza can top just about anything!


I had some dough in the freezer so I defrosted it in the fridge during the day.  That's right, I knew in the morning that we'd be having pizza for dinner.  Do you know how hard it is to concentrate when you know you're going to have pizza later?  


You probably do.  After all, it's pizza! 


PIZZA


Dough: Makes Enough for 4 pizzas & 2 small dessert pizzas - I freeze half


1 T Raw Honey
1 C Water Warm Water
1 pkg Yeast (14 oz)


Total of 3 Cups Flour (I use a mix of spelt, WW, white, oat, etc...  What ever I happen to have.  If you're using whole wheat be sure to use some white so that it's not too heavy)
1 t salt
1/4 C EVOO


Dissolve the honey in the water then stir in the yeast so that the water is cloudy.  Let sit in a dark warm spot for about 5 minutes so that a layer of foam forms.


Mix everything together using the flat beater in a mixer (I have a Kitchen Aid).  Once it's all mixed use your kneading blade to kneed it all together (or kneed by hand).  If after a while, it's still sticky, add some flour.  You want it to be smooth and elastic.  Shape the dough into a ball.


Spray a bowl with some EVOO and put the dough ball in.  Turn to coat (you don't want the dough to get dry while it rises).  Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let sit for 45 minutes to 1.5 hours - until it doubles in bulk.  Punch it down and get ready to make pizza.


At this point I take 1/2 of it and put it in a freezer bag.  Pop it in the freezer for the next time you want to make pizza.


Making Pizza:
Put your pizza stone in the oven & Pre-heat the oven to 500°.


Roll out your pizza dough.  I divide it into 3 mini balls - 2 larger and 1 smaller.
To roll it out I place it between 2 sheets of parchment paper - it makes it 1000-times easier!


Spread some EVOO & minced garlic on top.  Then top away.  MY favorite is roasted veggies.  The Hubs likes meat, pepper & cheese.


Add some Italian seasoning & fresh basil.


Then bake for about 5-10 minutes.  I make 1 pizza at a time.  While one bakes I make up the next.  :)

Roll out your dough.
TIP:  roll it between 2 sheets of parchment paper and you won't have any sticking issues.

The Manly Pizza:   EVOO, Tomato paste, minced garlic, roasted tomatoes, pepperoni, jalapeno peppers & cheese

The Girly Pizza: EVOO, Tomato paste, minced garlic, roasted veggies & a bit of cheese

Pizza's are done dude!

Little Dessert:  coconut oil, carob powder, mini marshmallows

BUT WAIT!

Remember how I said almost nothing can top pizza?  Well there's one thing that can...

Fro-Yo!

My name is Emily and I'm a Fro-Yo addict....
Chocolate, Cheesecake & Espresso Fro-Yo
+ cherries, blueberries, raspberrys, black berries, mango, and cookie dough.

No comments:

Post a Comment