Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Cookie Ball Doughs

I know, It would make MUCH more sense if I said, "Cookie Dough Balls" but for some reason when ever we say them it comes out Cookie Ball Doughs.  I guess it's one of those strange facts of life. :)


And to be honest these are WAY more like a Lara Bar than any kind of cookie but since Kai thinks they're cookie dough who am I to argue?  Facts are facts and these are quick, nutritious and tasty.  So why focus on the name?


APPLE CINNAMON COOKIE BALL DOUGHS


3/4 Cup of your favorite nuts (I used Cashew & Pecan) - soaked for 1-2 hours
7-10 Dates - pitted
1/2 an apple (you can use a whole one of you can keep yourself & helper from nibbling at it)
1 T cinnamon (I LOVE cinnamon)
1/4C-ish of Puff Rice Cereal (Optional but I like to use it to bump up the volume)


Pulse everything but the cereal in a food processor.
Stir/fold in the cereal.
Form balls (use wet hands to keep it from sticking)
Place on a plate & 'flash freeze' in the freezer for 1-2 hours
Put in a freezer bag, store in your freezer and enjoy!


Soak your nuts.... (try to avoid any dirty jokes)
Put your nuts, dates, cinnamon & apple in your food processor.
Pulse, pulse, pulse
Looks doughy!
Add your Puff Rice Cereal to bump up the volume.
Form your balls, freeze & store

The Hubs decided on dinner tonight so we had Salmon Patties and Shells & Cheese.  Of course I can't just follow a recipe.  I HAVE to modify it.  I can't help myself.  Recipes are meant to be altered. :)

SALMON PATTIES - Modified from the recipe on the can

1 can (14.75oz) Chicken of the Sea Salmon - drained
3/4 C Panko Crumbs
1/4 C Chopped Onion
2 Chopped Green Onions
3 T Greek Yogurt
2 Eggs
2 t Lemon Juice
1 T (give or take) dried Parsley
1/4 t garlic powder

Put some Coconut oil in your skillet and heat on med-hi on the stove top.
Mix your ingredients and form into patties (wet hands to keep from sticking)
Cook patties in the skillet until both sides are brown and heated through - I worked in 2 batches.

Mix all the ingredients

Form patties & start cooking.

I made up 9 patties!


In addition to the patties we had Shells & Cheese.  I actually like Velveeta Shells & Cheese, especially compared to Kraft Mac & Cheese, but it's just so salty!  There wasn't anything I could do about the sauce though.  It's premixed and I don't know how I'd go about replicating it with a healthier version so I just went with the flow.

Except I added broccoli.  Hey, If I can't take out the bad, at least I can add some good. :)

But being an accommodating wife I left the broccoli out of the Hubs pasta.  He would not have seen the benefit to it.  Kai on the other hand ate all her broccoli along with the shells so I ended feeling pretty good.


Shells, Broccoli & Cheese + Salmon Patty (full disclosure: I ended up eating a 2nd)
+ Salad: Lettuce, spinach, yellow bell pepper, cucumber, sun dried tomatoes & a drizzle of Balsamic Vinaigrette




4 comments:

  1. The cookie ball dough looks so good and I don't think I have any of those ingredients in the house except cinnamon :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well don't eat straight cinnamon...no matter how tempting. It won't end well. lol!

    We were out of apples for 2 days before I caved and bought some. I can't not have apples in the house and if we run out I can't wait until 'grocery day'. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. do you store the cookies in the freezer?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep. 'flash freeze' them on a plate for an hour or so, so that they don't stick together, and then I put them in a freezer bag on the top shelf of my freezer door (where only adults can access them). I used to just though them on an inner shelf but my stash was dwindling a little too fast. lol!

    ReplyDelete